Korean Visa, Denied!

We still don't know what happened. I've been up all night thinking what went wrong with my fiance's documents, that he was ...


We still don't know what happened. I've been up all night thinking what went wrong with my fiance's documents, that he was denied of getting a South Korean visa. I really don't know.


For a Hallyu fan like me, visiting the Land of the Morning Calm aka KPop Nation, is a dream come true. Everyone knows how I've been dying to set foot in Korea. My boss even persuaded me to book a ticket because she knows that I'm not getting any younger and I need to experience the world (FYI, she visits Korea every year). I was hesitant because they require a visa. I was afraid that I will get denied and the ticket will just go to waste. So what if that happens? I will be devastated and I might stop fangirling.




Well, I and my now-husband, still purchased two tickets last year when AirAsia had their 1-peso sale. And yes we took the risk. It was a good deal because we were able to get a fare for just 7,900Php round-trip for two.


Since a single entry visa only has a validity of 60 days, we applied just last week. Let me share you our profile first before listing down the requirements:


Me
Employed and currently working in a leading-shipping company (7 years of working experience)
First-time traveler
ADB - 5,xxx


Him
Employed and currently working in an electronics company (6 years of working experience)
First-time traveler
ADB - 50,xxx



Now, here are the requirements for employees when applying for the visa based on Korean embassy's website:


COMPLETE BASIC REQUIREMENTS:
PERSONAL DOCUMENTS


1.  Visa application form
Application form MUST be duly filled in and signed.  The form can be obtained from the Embassy or you may downloaded here. Make sure not to leave any blanks and just write N/A for questions not applicable.


2.  Passport
Original passport (should be valid for more than 6 months and should be submitted without cover)
Photocopy of Passport Bio-page (page 2)
Original & Photocopy of valid visa/s and arrival stamps to Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) member countries (except Korea) for the past 5 years, if applicable. If you haven’t been to any of the OECD countries in the past 5 years, then that’s fine. 


3.   Photo
One passport-sized colored picture. The size was indicated on the left part of the application form.



OTHER SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
Since we are both employed, we'll only  mention the requirements based on our status. For other criteria, kindly follow the details on this link.


 For Employees


1. Employment Certificate (original)
The date on the COE must be within the month of your visa application.
Inform your HR that this is for your Korean tourist visa application. Details of the COE should include the following:
Your position
Date hired
Compensation
Office Address
HR landline number – mobile number is not allowed
HR email address


2. Personal Bank Statement (original for last 3 months)
Original or certified true copy of bank statements/passbook for the last 3 months
*Both BPI and BDO require a PHP100 for the first 3-pages, additional pages will incur beyond that.


3. Personal Bank Certificate (original; 6 months average balance)
The certificate must include the following:
Account type
Current balance
Account opening date
ADB or Average Daily Balance
I used my payroll account while my fiance used our joint account.
Also note that a bank certificate is not required for applicants with a valid visa or who have been to any OECD member countries within the last 5 years. 


4. ITR(Income Tax Return) or Form 2316 Copy
ITR should readily be available from your HR department. Otherwise, you can request through Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).


Address: BIR National Office Bldg., BIR Road, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines
Telephone no:+632-981-8888
Trunkline:+632-981-7000
Email: contact_us@cctr.bir.gov.ph



ADDITIONAL SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
1. Copy of PRC Card or IBP Card (If applicable only)
2. If personally invited to Korea, an original invitation letter and passport copy of the Korean invitor is needed. If invited by a company in Korea, an original invitation letter and photocopy of the Korean Company Business Permit. 

I've been researching and scouring every blogs on tips how to get approved in getting a South Korean visa. We followed every single instruction. I believe we did not miss a single information or document they needed. Thus, there's no reason to reject our application.

While I worried a lot that my application will be rejected, fiance on the contrary, was just calm and relaxed. I only have a very small ADB, and I thought, that the consul might consider it as one of the factors in disapproving my visa application. 

-----

We arrived at the embassy before lunchtime. There were lots of applicants and travel agents at the embassy. I glanced on some requirements and noticed that most of it incorrectly followed the instructions (e.g picture were not on the required size, missing documents etc etc). We passed on the first screening. After 10 minutes, we were called on the next window. The lady on the second window browsed through our documents then gave us a claim stub. The application only took us less than 30 minutes. Traveling to McKinley was a bit longer as it took us almost two hours to get to the place.


Three days before claiming our visa, fiance told me that a Korean embassy representative called their office and verified some info. They only asked basic questions per the info on the documents  he submitted.


The day came. I asked my fiance to claim the visa for me as I was not able to file a vacation from work. Then, at around 4 in the afternoon, I received a text from him, informing that his visa was denied and I'm the only one who got an approval. At first, I thought that he was just joking. But as we exchanged messages, I realized that he really got a disapproval from the consul :(


The reason for his approval: "You failed to qualify to the visa category you applied for". What the heck was that?!! He tried asking the Korean lady and she informed that his documents are not enough for the approval. Ugh! 


DENIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!

We were both disappointed. I should be happy (right,?) because I finally got a single entry visa to one of the places I'm dying to visit. But I can't travel to Korea this September without my fiance. That would be lonely :( Should I just cancel the this trip too? AHHHHHH, Eotteokhe! What should I do now?


I don't know if I'll try my luck again in booking a flight to Korea. If one of us will be rejected again, it will be pointless. 




You Might Also Like

71 comments

  1. this is a nightmare! i am applying for korean visa this feb 2017 too and paranoia is starting to kick in. im shooked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dear! Anyway,just be optimistic that you'll get an approval. Also, make sure that you have followed all the instructions and the documents you have submitted are complete. Prayer also works :)

      Delete
    2. Just got my visa yesterday it was a nerve wracking experience. Unionbank do not indicate ADB on their bank cert so i was really worried.(i used my payroll acct) Thank good my visa was still approved.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Hi! At least how much will be needed in your account for a greater possibility that my visa would be approved? I'm quite worried about it.

      Delete
    5. A colleague only had 30k on her payroll account when she applied for visa. It was her first travel abroad as well and she got approved. I guess it really depends on the consul who will be checking your documents.

      Delete
    6. Hi, tanong ko lang po kung ano pang ibang pinapasa kapag walang ADB sa bank cert? May alternative po ba? Thank you

      Delete
  2. Hi. What if po nadeny, then ilang months po bago ulit makapagapply ng visa? Salamat po! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, you have to wait for another six months in order to apply again for visa :(

      Delete
  3. Nag woworry tuloy ako.. gusto ko p nman pumunta sa Korea . Pwede kyang mag apply ng visa kht hindi k pa nkkpag book mg flight at acconodation? Pra hindi nkakapnghinayang just in case your visa get denied?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria Danica. Yes, pwede naman. Hinabol kasi namin yung murang fare kaya we booked a flight before getting a visa.

      Delete
  4. could it be because of the bank account types that you used? since he used your joint account, they probably assumed that only 50% is of the husband. did you apply as family or individual? i'm still waiting for my visa status online..im hoping for the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We applied as individual as we are not yet married during the application.

      Delete
  5. hi.. nag apply kmi ng minor daughter q last 12-23-16.. worried ako ksi madami ako nabasa n dapat dont leave it blank s mga questions lalo n ang nk check ay NO.. di po nmin nalagyan ng N/A.. ano kya mangyari s application namin.. meron n po n approved ang visa s tulad nmin n hindi n finil apan ang details..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. I'm not so sure. But I think it's not that necessary. Mas tinitingnan nila yung possibility na hindi mag-ti-TNT sa Korea kesa sa mga missing info sa form.

      Hoping that you and your daughter got approved. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. I think VISA got denied because your husband used a joint account. Should be personal. Same with Japan VISA. Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, i agree with this one too. He used a joint account but you are not yet married. Just my 2 cents.

      Delete
  7. Ommoooo! Very similar naman po tayo!!! ^^ I'm a Hallyu fanatic too.haha
    My fiancé and I applied for visa lastweek and I will claim our passports tomorrow! It worries me so much but I am believing for visas in both our passports! 😊 It will be for our honeymoon!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Franzfranz! I hope both of you will get a visa. And goodluck on your honeymoon! AJA!

      Delete
  8. Hi, I had the same experience! Me and my boyfriend apply for Korean Visa and I am the only one who got approved, having the same reason why it was denied. I feel so depressed and I don't know what to do :( :( :( Even if it was indicated in the slip that we can re-apply after 6 months, we are still planning to reapply after a month. I don't have any idea if it is possible to submit an appeal letter for the visa denial. And also, if may chance pa din if we knew someone from the embassy who could help us like what they call a "Backer". Willing to pay naman kami. I hope there is still a chance since we already have a ticket :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May I ask when are your travelling to Korea? If you still have time, I think you can submit an appeal. But paying a 'backer' is not an assurance that he'll get an approval. I've read on a blog before that it's quite tedious getting re-approval from the consul as they require too many documents. By the way, my husband tried to appeal the day we got our visas. But the consul just advised him to re-apply after six months. Until now, he's still annoyed with what happened and doesn't want to go to Korea anymore :(

      Delete
    2. Hi IAMCCHENNY03, may I know both of your profiles? Me and my boyfriend will also apply next month and I'm also super nervous.

      Delete
    3. Hi, we are both regular employees but from a different company. With regards to the show money, we have the same amount as well

      Delete
    4. Hi Chenny, may i know if you submitted an appeal? Or anything else you've done to get that precious visa? Thanks

      Delete
  9. Hi Zell, how did you communicate with the consul? Regarding the appeal, is it through email or did you provide a letter during the reapplication?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again Chenny! It was not a formal appeal.
      Hubby just went back to the designated window and asked for an explanation.
      But they did not explained the exact reason for disapproval.
      We did not submit a formal appeal, because from what I've read on another blog, the consul will ask you to submit proof or documents (business or land titles/ properties etc) that you can finance your stay in KR.
      We're just average-earners and we cannot present any land titles, business documents or whatsoever.

      Delete
  10. My visa application got denied. It says failed to qualify to the visa category that i apply..tourism naman purpose of visit ko doon for 5 days lng naman. And have some money in my account and submitted all documents bakit pa din ako nadedeny. So frustrating..i just only want to see a real cherry blossom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nakaka kaba nman, mag papa pass na ako tomorrow, bakit kaya denied?

      Delete
    2. Ugh! Sorry to hear that :( BTW, when is your supposed KR travel? is this your first time to travel abroad? are you a freelancer or currently employed?

      Delete
    3. Ugh! I got denied too with the same reason as yours. :( I'm so so so sad. My efforts and money had been all wasted. It's really depressing. I've booked my tix and hotel for KR already. :(

      Delete
    4. Hi, ask ko lang po. Ano po ba nilagay or yung chineck mo sa choices ng purpose of travel to korea?

      Tourism/transit?

      Ans yung sa current status nga choices po?

      Did you check the EMPLOYED?
      And if for employee requirements ba yung pinasa mo?

      Bakit po failed to qualify to the visa category yung reason nila sa denial ng visa mo?

      Delete
  11. Good day!

    Hello po, ask lang po sana ako. Nung ngapply ba kayo ng korean visa. May tumawag din ba sa office niyo na from korean embassy and ngverify if anong address ng company, position, nature of company etc???

    Thanks po

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa akin, wala nang tumawag. Pero sa asawako na na-deny, may tumawag.

      Delete
  12. Hi po, aware po ba kayo sa website ng korean embassy na www.visa.go.kr???

    They said kasi you can check your visa application status there online.

    Accurate po kaya result dun?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Nope. Di ako aware sa site na 'to. So I'm not sure kung accurate to.

      Delete
  13. Hi,
    Just wanted to ask, if your visa application gets denied do they mark (stamp) your passport saying so? Or is it just the stapled sheet of paper with the reason for visa denial?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed that along with the stapled paper, a stamped mark (KR EMBASSY APPLICATION RECEIVED with DATE) at the last page of the passport appeared.

      Delete
  14. Hi! Na-denied din po application ko for visa last year, dumaan po kasi ako ng travel agency for my application kaya sila po ang nagpass sa korean embassy.. tanong ko lang po kung hindi po ba nilagyan ng stamp po sa dulong page ng passport nyo na nkalagay "korean embassy application received" tapos yung date po ng application nyo... sakin po kasi my ganung stamp po...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. May nakalagay ding ganyan sa passport ng asawa ko.

      Delete
  15. Goodmorning poh...tanong q lang poh sana qng ano poh second options para mka kuha ng f1 visa.na denied na poh kc aq this month balik daw aq after 6months.kpag poh ba pinauwi q hubby q from Korea and nag pa interview kame pareho mabbigyan na poh kaya aq ng spause visa? kasal na poh kame noong 2012 pa now lang aq nkapag decide na pumunta.na fail poh aq kc d aq nkapasa ng exam i got only 40% eh pasado 60%

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I'm a housewife who is dreaming of going to korea this May 2017 with my daughter who is employed. Unfortunately, i am denied while she is approved ( i just got it this afternoon). With the same reason as your husband.
    Akala ko dahil wala ako ITR & COE. Iniisip ko baka may kulang na doc. since sya ang magfu-fund sa akin.Pero we've been to several countries in south east asia na din. Kaya akala ko may chance na ako.��
    Sayang, dun pa naman sana sya magcecelebrate ng birthday. Pano kaya yun?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not really sure. But I think, if an ITR is not available, you should have requested a document from BIR stating that you are not paying any taxes. Yung tatay ko kasi, ganyan ginagawa niya whenever they ask for an ITR. Baka akala ng consul is hindi lang talaga naipasa @_@

      Delete
  17. Same reason here, just claimed our passports today and we were denied, so frustrating ������

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too i received this afternoon and i was denied...pwede po ba mgappeal un nginvite skin Korean student ko sya...ksi mdyo alngan ako bmalik s embassy bka di lng ako pnsinin...thanks po...

    ReplyDelete
  19. same here i was so sad the time the agency called me and told that we family consist of my husband and my 2 kids are all denied.. reasons "you failed to qualify to the visa category that you have applied for"...OFW ang mister ko for 11 yrs up to present ako ordinary employee may ITR ang Bank cert at bank statement namin ok sabi nga ng agency sila mismo di maka paniwala family denied kasi mga docs namin complete naman at at malaki ang financial capacity compare sa iba.. graduation gift namin sa kids sana lalo na sa daughter ko with honors sya at KPOP avid fan same sa akin KDRAMA fanatics.. kaya cherry bloosoms din ang wish ko dec 2016 pa lang booked na kami sa agency APril 6-9, 2017 sana alis namin.. sobra I cried so much that time March 30 na denied kami.. up to now read ako ng mga sentiments ng mga denied na visa baka may pareho ng case namin..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? Isang family kayo? Kalungkot. Sana kasi specify nila yun kulang na docs or yun mali.

      Delete
    2. Hello how are you? Were you still pushing your vacation in korea? Ty

      Delete
  20. Hi just want to share my experience too nag apply kami ng baby ko last December3 yrs old yung baby ko employed ako then 150k bank certificate ko d ko alam why ako na deny you failed to prove the visa category you have applied for. Sakit sobra. Im still reading a blog kng meron bang na deny before then na approved nung nag apply ulit? Sana po mag reply kayo salamat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nai-submit niyo po ba lahat ng requirements? If yes, yung mga documents po ba na naipasa nyo is tama and accurate yung details? After months of confusion kasi, ni-review ko ulit yung mga documents na ipinasa ng asawa ko. An it turned out that the reason for his denial is his ITR (just my theory/opinion).


      And yes, meron pong nag-deny na before ng visa and na-approve after they re-applied.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Ano naging problem nya sa itr? Ibinabalik ba lahat ng docs nung mga denied?

      Delete
    4. Hi, anong naging problem sa itr nya? Also, binalik ba yung mga docs nung nadeny?

      Delete
    5. Hi @Karen Abes, nope. Di na ibinalik yung mga documents niya. May discrepancy ata sa ITR na inissue ng office nila.

      Delete
  21. Hi! sobra din akong kinakabahan. I read all the comments above, this coming friday may 12 2017 mag aaply ako ng visa. Resigned na ako last march. Ang ipapasa ko kasing requirements is for self employed since di naman ako pede magpasa ng COE, ang meron kasi ako is DTI and Brgy Business permit since sari store ung business. Also, ka joint account ko rin parents ko sa account for about 10yrs na rin and I think enough naman ung savings.

    Possible ba na ma approve un? I always praying naway ma approve..

    Sobrang gusto ko makapunta ng korea sobrang gusto ko makita mga kpop idol ko..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi! sobra din akong kinakabahan. I read all the comments above, this coming friday may 12 2017 mag aaply ako ng visa. Resigned na ako last march. Ang ipapasa ko kasing requirements is for self employed since di naman ako pede magpasa ng COE, ang meron kasi ako is DTI and Brgy Business permit since sari store ung business. Also, ka joint account ko rin parents ko sa account for about 10yrs na rin and I think enough naman ung savings.

    Possible ba na ma approve un? I always praying naway ma approve..

    Sobrang gusto ko makapunta ng korea sobrang gusto ko makita mga kpop idol ko..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as long as you have submitted the correct requirements and there are no discrepancies on the information showing on the files, I think ma-approve ka naman. Siguro, if possible, wag ka sa window 2. either 1 or 3 na lang. Aja!

      Delete
  23. did you try to appeal? i got denied too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi. I also got denied with the same reason. I have complete reqts, I travel 2-3 times a year, I have 3 Japan visas and a US visa. I had 100K in my bank and still got denied. To be honest, I dont know what I'll do if I re-apply since I will be sending the same papers to them.

    I also think that "failed to qualify to the visa category" is the most vague reason since you didn't even choose a visa category. I would've understood them if they failed me because of incomplete documents or failed to prove economic ties.

    I've been looking for answer and still don't know how I got denied.

    ReplyDelete
  25. may naapprove po ba ng korean visa kahot minimum wage earner po?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne. To be honest, I don't have an idea. It really depends on the consul who will be reviewing the papers you have submitted. FYI na lang din. I have an officemate na 20k lang laman ng bank but she was approved.

      Delete
    2. Hi Zelle. Ilan taon na nagwowork ung officemate mo? I applied for a visa and I'm dying of paranoia because of reading this denied visa comments. I'm a first time traveller. Huhu. I will get my visa on wed.

      Delete
    3. Three or four years na siya sa company. I hope you got an approval :)

      Delete
  26. Hello, I applied as family wiTh my mom. I have a US visa and that will expedite the processing. However, I forgot to include my mom’s bank certificate. Will it be a ground for her to get denied? Looking forward to your response. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My parents got denied for same reason. They submitted all the requirements and we don’t know why they got denied. Anybody here who got a chance to apply for an appeal?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Super kabado na rin ako.

    Actually, this will be my 3rd time to apply for a South Korea visa. First one was denied, second one was approved last November 2017, which I used on my December 2017 trip.

    Kabado ako kasi mas maliit yung show money na ipapakita ko this time. Last time kasi I had 48k, 8k adb. Ngayon, I have 22k tapos 13k ang adb. I declared 300 usd sa gastos for a 3-day stay.

    Wala naman magbabago sa docs na ipapasa ko. Just the anount of money sa bank.

    Anybody here na nasa 20k lang yung show money and got approved?

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi Paola, I just read from a travel group that if you got deny, you may reapply for visa using the BDO and BPI Gold promo. However, there is still no assurance for the approval. But she luckily got approved after resubmitting her visa documents after a week of disapproval.

    ReplyDelete

Share your insights!

All rights reserved. The Fangirl Musings. Powered by Blogger.